I recently celebrated my one year wedding anniversary and some of my married friends also did. We’ve all been married between one to three years so sometimes we get to share experiences, advices and encourage one another. One day we got talking about how a lot of things, (trust me it’s a whole lot) change after the wedding and I remembered it dawned on me that things were different the morning after my wedding when I woke up to me husbands knee digging into my side, He’s a restless sleeper while I curl up on my side. I am no marriage expert and don’t intend to become one but I have learned and still learning that marriage can be sweet, beautiful and lots of work. Well, here are a few things no one tells you before you get married (LOL) : –
Disclaimer :- This is a fun post, not a rule.
- Together Forever: – This might mean a lot more than you think, it is not just about fairy tales and happily ever after like Cinderella and Prince charming, sometimes it’s about doing things or going with your spouse to places you don’t feel like because it’s not just you anymore, it is also making a lot of decisions TOGETHER !!!
- Cooking: – Thinking of what to cook would become an everyday chore especially if your spouse hates eating out but if your spouse is understanding, you will always work around it and if he can cook, he will sometimes.
- Friendships:- Some friends will decide to give some you space and when you ask why, they will say it is because you are married ( I still don’t get it), then some other friends will be angry that you are not as close as you used to be because you can’t hang out with them as much as you used to.
- Fighting :– Well you will expect that you will disagree on some things but you do not expect to fight over insignificant things like, where to put the salt or who gets to watch their favorite T.V show. Am not talking about just arguing, it could become a full blown argument or fight that could last days, nothing is off limits to fight about, petty right?
- Cuddling and Sleeping together: – You might not like sleeping in the same bed with your partner all the time especially if your partner is a restless sleeper, because you could wake up with their knee in your side or their butt in your face. It is also important to remember sleeping in each other’s arms like in the movies, does not work for everyone. Plus your spouse might be the type that snores up a storm ( now this is not just men, women too)
- NO MORE PRIVACY: – Seriously even in the bathroom, no privacy, none at all, zilch, poof all gone. Well except when one person is home before the other or one person travels, but then you miss each other so much, you can’t wait for them to see each other again.
- Liking or loving your spouse: – There are sometimes you will feel like “what was I thinking?” and there are times you feel you are the luckiest person in the world because of your spouse, it is normal, that’s why marriage is a commitment not a ride.
Okay so these are my few points, I know some married people reading this might be adding to the list please share with us in the comment section, thank you.